Thursday, 4 March 2010

The best things in life are free!



Heh! It's my birthday!

Despite feeling exhausted, I feel very happy and I have much to celebrate. I'm having a good day - let me share some of it with you...





  • The sun is shining and bringing with it the promise that spring is just around the corner stimulating thoughts of renewal, a fresh start and new growth (I'm thinking beautiful crocuses like these outside my window, rather than nasty tumours!)
  • Organic bacon and fresh eggs from the farm up the road for breakfast. Is there a better way to start the day? - especially when you are trying to convince yourself you could give up being a carnivore! (Eating too much meat is widely considered to be a factor in colon cancer).
  • The White Album from the missis for my birthday and two tickets for the theatre in April. A playable copy of the eponymous Beatles album (I have a warped vinyl with dodgy looking burns on the sleeve reminiscent of a misspent college life); and the thought of going out of an evening. Ah the simple things!
  • Two cards (so far) of young lads racing about on quad bikes (actually one is a go-cart). Could this be a promise of felling a little younger after 6 months of feeling old-old-old.
  • Mum coming over and, for a change, she is visiting me at home instead of hospital, because ....
  • I'VE FINISHED CHEMO. I should be having my final cycle today, but after meeting the consultant yesterday, she suggested that my exhaustion and worsening side effects indicate that my body has done enough. She also confirmed that she didn't think that, given my risk factors were fairly low, missing the final cycle would have no detrimental impact of my therapy.
I can't express how relieved I am to finish this 2nd phase of treatment. Although it started out ok, it has progressively got harder and harder and I can't wait to start cleansing myself of the accumulation of toxic pharmacology.

I will have my Hickman line removed over the next two weeks. I know this will spoil my chances of a new career in pole-dancing with my integral tassels swaying from my right breast, but on balance I think it will be worth it!

Within the next month I will be referred back to surgeon to have my stoma reversed. This means I will have one of those new-fangled arse things complete with special features of integral storage, control and sound effects. Simple things....

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday matey. Obviously there's ony a small chance I'll remember that its the 4th and not the 3rd next year. Sounds like you have a fairly splendid set of presents. However the whole functional arse thing is probably a bit over-rated. According to Mrs D anyway.

    Shame you can't make Cheltenham. Remember to go big on Denman and watch it on the telly instead. I'll have a small Guinness for you when I'm there on Patrick's Day.

    Cheers,

    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, Happy Birthday. Can't believe I forgot, I am pleading hormonal insanity for that. So glad to read you are feeling so positive and that you have finished chemo..YAY! Here's to a fabulous year honey. Lots of squelchy kisses, Rhi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a positive day on your Birthday, and the thought of the Spring and Summer coming is certainly a great one!
    Finally yayyyyyyyy that you have finished the chemo!
    Take care,

    Laura
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Phil, you made it... you really made it all the way through chemo. And then you knocked the last one on the head. That is just amazing. Consider yourself saluted. Love, Nige

    ReplyDelete

/* Google analytics script */