Thursday, 29 October 2009

Jabs, t'internet and chemo cycle 3

I had two jabs yesterday - seasonal flu and pneumoccocal (pneumonia) vaccines - one in each arm. I should have had these on Tuesday, but due to an appointment cock-up I missed my appointment by and hour and had to take an appointment yesterday. The idea was to have the jabs as late in the chemo cycle as possible and to give myself a day to recover. I felt fine when I went to bed last night, except for a slightly aching pneumo arm and mild nausea (brilliant! a new source of sickness, just what I don't need). I woke in the night at 3am with a massive pain in the pneumo arm and lay awake wondering if this would cause any problems for chemo today.

Don't you just hate the internet? After an hour of failing to get back to sleep, my arm aching like it had been severed at the shoulder, I nip downstairs and foolishly enter 'pneumoccocal vaccine chemotherapy' into google. The results were a little startling (even cancerhelp.org.uk): NOT TO BE GIVEN DURING CHEMOTHERAPY! Pretty difficult to drop off after reading that.

I am in hospital now. The arm ache is much reduced. I asked about the pneumo jab and they weren't even slightly interested. Blood counts are good, but the liver function test is still poor. This caused quite a bit of waiting around while the consultant was ... consulted and then granted permission to proceed. I have an appointment with the consultant the day before chemo cycle 4 to discuss the mysterious liver test results - so clearly she is not that worried about this. I've spoken to my GP who assures me that my LFT results from July (pre-op) are normal so at least I know it's not alcohol induced sclerosis from an over-exuberant delectation for beer and red wine. I wonder if it has anything to do with 8 days of maximum dose IV paracetamol while in hospital, followed by the same with tablets on returning home?

Here comes the oxaliplatin tingle!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bagman - good to hear from you again - we missed your posts for a while there...
    Hope things go ok with the next cycle - can't be much fun at the moment but it will get easier soon.
    And yes -the internet is a dangerous place for medical information and you will always find something to scare the bejesus out of you even if you are in the peak of fitness.
    Keep writing - your blog is a place that reinforces the important things in life. Take care
    nick fee and kids xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick. You and (many others) write such encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete

/* Google analytics script */