Perhaps I should give up trying to predict how I feel at each chemotherapy cycle - it always seems to vary so much. I guess I'm just determined to have a better run than last time which kept me off here for the best part of 2 weeks. I've set up a twitter account just in case I fail and can only manage 140 characters (latest tweets duplicated below right).
On Saturday, I spent about ½ day in bed, then took a short drive to get ginger beer, with bored Ben (Sarah off with Henry playing footie). Ginger beer seems to help with the sickness (and virtually alcohol free).
By Sunday the chemo effects are starting to really kick in. A couple of you have mentioned this is a good thing: if it's killing the cells in the digestive track then hopefully it may be finding a few horrors to deal with too. Gut output gets really fizzy, I belch a lot and generally feel quite nauseous. Eating seems to help with the this, so we popped out to a local nearby pub for some Sunday lunch. Going anywhere is still plagued by fear of BagMan digestive accidents (something I am plucking up courage to write about soon, when I can find a way of expressing myself without grossing you out too much), and this was a successful trip. I also get very tired so the early cycle outings are always very short.
This morning I feel ok, partly because the sun is shining so beautifully. Still feeling sick, and at the end of the effective but worrying anti-sickness steroids (dexamethasone), but I have other anti-emetics - much less effective, but no long term effects. I'm going to take far more rest and see if my body recovers a little more quickly this cycle.
Monday, 2 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Phil,
ReplyDeleteHaving read the theme of an upset gut and probable beneficial side benefits, I found this article strangely paralleling the theme - considering the upset we all sometimes get with our national dish.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8328377.stm
"Curry spice 'kills cancer cells'"
Not sure if you have any dietry restrictions to exclude it, but might be a little extra help?
Anyway, glad to hear you're getting out to the pub :)
Hi Adam,
ReplyDeleteAny excuse to eat curry has to be a good thing! I can manage it provided it's not too hot at the moment. Unfortunately, the pub can only offer me food and soft drinks for the time being - I have been on the wagon for 5 weeks!
Phil