Thursday, 10 September 2009

Histology results

Big day - a visit to Bath Clinic to see the consultant to follow-up on the histology results from the bits they cut out of me. On the plus side, Mr. T thinks I am doing well (ignoring Monday's little hick-up). All 5 wounds are healing well and I have full control of my vital faculties (there's quite a bit of risk involved in such major abdominal surgery).

Mr. T took out the tumour and 18 lymph nodes (basically the tissue surrounding the organ). The nodes act as a kind of filter and if the cancer has spread the lymph nodes get it first. 4 or more is considered to be "advanced" and 3 or less is considered early. Obviously the best outcome is 0 positive nodes (an "A*"). I'd never been a top scholar, but often got by above average: I scored 1 (an "A"). That's the good news. The bad news is that even 1 means that there has been some spread so oncology treatment is strongly advised, probably chemotherapy for a period of 6 months.

In practice this could mean that I will be out of work longer, but I still hope to start working again within 3 months. I'll need to build this up slowly. There will be some weeks when I won't be able to work due to a chemo cycle. When the chemo is complete I'll need a 'reversal' operation to restore the original route of my colon at which point I can change my moniker. It's all a little vague at the moment and I'll know more when I see the oncologist in the next couple of weeks.

Naturally, I don't relish the thought of poisoning my body, but in the grand scheme of things (i.e. living) it'll be fine and I'll do my best to take it in my stride. I guess it's just going to take a little more time....

5 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, Simon here. Nick and Jamie have kept me appraised of your situation. Helen and I would like to send you lots of love and best wishes for your treatment and recovery. I was in the BRI today to have a large cyst excised from my left bollock, which was an interesting life experience. I'm fine, just still faintly embarrassed and mildly uncomfortable, so not really in your league. Whatever empathy I have is yours though...
    Simon A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and I thought I was explicit! you thespians certainly like to say it like it is! Good luck with a rapid repair - I hope it's not too sore.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, what a great idea to do this blog. I've never followed a blog before so I'll probably break all kinds of protocols! Clearly there is a talented, would be writer at the interesting end of this exchange!
    I hope you continue to be absorbed in writing it - Know I'll continue to be absorbed in reading it.Brilliant!
    As you know you have all our love and best wishes.
    Rich x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phil,
    I am Nick, Jamie and Simon's mum, Maggie and was in a similar place to you about twelve years ago.Tony and I are really sorry you are having this torrid time but you seem to be coping in a positive way. Keeping in touch with friends through your interesting blog is a great idea.I found marijuana was a help with the chemo I had - I made cakes with it and invited friends to tea.I was quite popular for a while! Good luck Phil, - we shallbe sending our positive thoughts to you and to Sarah.
    Maggie Bundey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maggie,
    Nice to know I'm on a well trodden path... with a light at the end!
    I have decided I will compliment the chemo with some alternative therapy, but I was looking more in the direction of acupuncture, reiki, etc. I don't fancy the claims that cannabis depresses the immune system, but thanks for your suggestions and kind thoughts.
    Much appreciated, Phil

    ReplyDelete

/* Google analytics script */