The feelings of sickness and tiredness (caused by diarrhoea == low absorption) at the weekend. I thought that I might improve after having the infusion pump disconnected, but in fact the nausea has continued and worsened if anything. I guess this makes sense, since one group of 'good' cells that suffer severely with chemotherapy are the fast growing cells that line the digestive tract which are renewed every 3-5 days. So little wonder that I am feeling worse now than when I started the chemo. The diarrhoea is easily kept in check with loperamide, but nothing seems to be capable of taking away that feeling of sickness.
In itself, there's nothing particularly debilitating about constant nausea. It's not painful, I can eat and I am not actually being sick. Despite this, it's amazing how successful it is at making you feel miserable! It saps your laughter, energy and enthusiasm for doing anything much. So on that chirpy note, I'll end by reminding myself that at least it is .... temporary.
Monday, 5 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Phil - At last I have managed to post a comment ! I'm not the best when it comes to computer fettling but I've just learned something new thanks to you...
ReplyDeleteWe all hope the nausea and lethargy is settling - it can't be much fun. If you feel like any of my mum's cakes, i'll put in an order if you like...!
Sounds like you are in a great place for self-observation, and then noticing - remembering - that you are not the self you are observing; just the lowly observer. Oh, and I love the Bagman picture.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil, have been tracking your progress from here in the Great Satan and great to hear that you're working through everything. I always associated non-debilitating, low-level nausea with work but could be a person-specific thing. Keep up the posts - it's great to stay in touch w/o being a pain in the arase (pun intended!) Best, Tommy
ReplyDeleteHey Tommy, good to hear from a real US, devil worshipping, banker - word is certainly getting round! Being off sick is not without it's merits: the boys are both off sick too today. They both have a temperature which is a little scary for those of us with depleted immune systems - but we managed to overcome that and have spent much of the day learning AC/DC riffs from youtube on our guitars (all 3 of us are learning). I though you might appreciate that. Secretly, I think the boys quite like cancer - they get to see far more of me. Now all I have to do is work on making that a long term thing. Phil
ReplyDelete