Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Radio Silence


Hmmm! bit of a protracted break since my last post - I have not been on holiday! The last chemo session turned out to be quite a tough one and it took me 10 days to get back to normal - fatigue and nausea being the common problems. I started to recover on Sunday and by Monday I felt myself again. We celebrated the return of my good mood with a really nice long family walk on the Westbury White Horse followed by fish and chips. Why is it that a cod lot tastes so much better when eaten outside in the cold from the paper or am I just not getting out enough?

Sarah continued to have man flu and eventually went to the doctor who suggested it had probably been swine flu. The kids (they started it) had a relatively easy time with it, being off school for only 5 days between them, but it hit Sarah really hard. She is still short of energy, but will be returning to work this week after two weeks off sick. I'm still amazed that I didn't even get a temperature and hope to have the immunisation before it passes my way next. The up-shot is that we have both felt really rough for the best part of 2 weeks and have taken it in turns to pick up the kids and generally keep things ticking over. If you feel you have been postponed or ignored, my apologies and we do (still) appreciate all your kind thoughts and support.

My 3rd session starts on Thursday (after just 3 days of normality :-( and I do hope to get back on here a little more sharply next time.

Thanks for checking in.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Bagman I have only just learnt about you and you blog. My old college friend Frank B called me to say that he was visiting your workplace (and mine before I retired) to assess the students placed in your care and would I like to meet him for lunch. Only problem was that it was the following day and Jackie would be using our one and only roadworthy vehicle so I had to entrain from Bruton to Trowbridge. Never realised it was so easy except that the trains work to their own timetable rather than to mine. Steered F away from the delights of T to the Cross Guns just near your very own home (but still didnt know you were ill). Interesting range of ales. Back to the workplace where I burst in with F (him expected but not me). Ros, Steve and everyone very welcoming once over their astonishment - not so much long lost son as long lost uncle. All happy until bombshell "have you heard about P"? Email waiting when I got home giving link to your blog. Am astounded at your mixture of bravery, humour and objectivity. And boy can you write a good read! Steve said I can call again but probably regrets it now (everyone too polite to tell me to bugger off when I become a nuisance). Am new to blogging so unsure about the anonymity thing - are full names to be avoided? Good luck to you and family - Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrian,

    So nice to hear from you - I'm glad word has filtered through (it's not so easy to email your address book, telling everyone that you're just a tad ill). I heard that you'd been into the office (all positive, so I doubt you'll get anything other than a warm welcome next time). Thanks for the positive comments. I have just updated my profile to give an email address and name (I started thinking that it would be anonymous - but I am way beyond that now. I intend the blog to be open to anyone who knows me but it is not findable by search engines, at least at present). Drop me a mail, it would be nice to get in touch, and good to see you sometime.

    For you and anyone else - if you are in Bath tomorrow stop by at the clinic where I will be from 1030 until about 1530 having my next chemo. Call my mobile if you would like more info.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil,
    Glad you are broadcasting and looking forward to more. If you like, you can feature your blog in your linkedin - what are you up to bit.
    Nigel

    ReplyDelete

/* Google analytics script */