6 / 12
Something of a milestone... or will be when I get through it.
I seemed to have picked up a cold from Ben, so am Mr. Sniffly, but my blood tests show that my immune system is good enough to cope with a full strength dose of chemo. I feel a little tired and am writing from bed to give myself the best chance of kicking it into touch before the immune system reaches it's inevitable low point. I'll be up and about this afternoon, since as the side effects build over the next few days, I expect the tiredness to force me back here.
I had a meeting with the oncologist on Wednesday and all seems to be going according to plan. We talked about the results of some additional liver blood tests taken two weeks ago which have shown up nothing untoward. My regular liver function tests are still outside of normal range but getting no worse. No further investigations will be taken until after chemotherapy completes. In the meantime I will continue my abstinence from alcohol.
I asked about the next steps after chemo and learned that there will be follow-up scans one year after surgery (August). This will be repeated every year until 3rd year at which point I would be considered clear of cancer. I questioned about my longer term prospects, but it became quickly evident that they really don't know. Virtually no statistics have been collected for my age group and the best I could extract was "the odds are in your favour". On the plus side this allows me to continue with my positive attitude, safe in my own knowledge that everything will work out ok. Sceptics might call this blind faith, but I somehow feel this deeply inside and am convinced on the benefits of positive thought, both within me and also within my network of supporters - for which I think you all.
Friday, 11 December 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Phil, it was sad not to see you and Sarah at the company's Xmas party last Saturday (to which as an ex member of staff I felt honoured to be invited). Your absence left a hole in what was otherwise a splendid event. It will be better next year when you are back again.
ReplyDelete